[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo welcomes 13 students for Google Summer of Code 2015
Margherita Di Leo
2015-04-28 06:56:09 UTC
Ladies and Gentlemen of the Geospatial Community,

OSGeo is glad to welcome the 13 accepted students and their mentors for
OSGeo GSoC 2015!

We received 37 proposals from a variety of geospatial projects. Despite the
lower total number of proposals received compared to former years, the
overall quality was high, so our choice has been a difficult task.
Eventually we appointed the following proposals:

1) GDAL: Faza Mahamood - Integration of GDAL utilities into GDAL core
library
2) GRASS GIS: Matej Krejci - Improved Metadata for GRASS
3) gvSIG: Eva Rodríguez - Port Network Analysis Extension to gvSIG 2.x
branch
4) istSOS: Ambrosini Luca - Scalability for Big data processing for istSOS
5) JGRASSTOOLS: Silvia Franceschi - Development of a simple 1D hydraulic
model for JGRASSTOOLS
6) MapServer: Samuel Lapointe - Add productivity tools to MapServer's
ScribeUI
7) Opticks: Tom Van den Eynde - Image Enhancement/Background Suppression
for Opticks
8) OTP: Nipuna Gunathilake - GTFS-Realtime validation tool for Open Trip
Planner
9) OSGeo-Live: Massimo Di Stefano - Integration of geospatial OSS in
educational notebooks
10) OSSIM: Martina Di Rita - OSSIM tool for DSM generation using tri-stereo
and SAR imagery
11) pgRouting: Sarthak Agarwal - New osm2pgrouting import tool to import
OpenStreetMap(OSM)data in pgRouting
12) PyWPS: Calin Ciociu - REST interface for PyWPS 4
13) QGIS: Marcus Santos - Multithread support on QGIS Processing toolbox

Congratulations to all accepted students!

We are proud of the geographical variety of countries from which our
students come from and live, including: Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic,
India, Italy, Luxemburg, Portugal, Spain and Sri Lanka.
The list of software projects includes OSGeo (official and incubating) and
like-minded projects - let GSoC be a "gathering of tribes", an occasion to
improve communication among all geospatial open source initiatives.

See the list of OSGeo accepted proposals also here:
https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org2/google/gsoc2015/osgeo
We wish all students and mentors a great summer!

Madi and Anne
OSGeo GSoC Admins 2015
--
Best regards,

Dr. Margherita DI LEO
Scientific / technical project officer

European Commission - DG JRC
Via Fermi, 2749
I-21027 Ispra (VA) - Italy - TP 261

Tel. +39 0332 78 3600
margherita.di-***@jrc.ec.europa.eu

Disclaimer: The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not
in any circumstance be regarded as stating an official position of the
European Commission.
Clément Igonet
2015-04-28 08:03:27 UTC
How to be considered as a student fo GSoc?

Could I suggest my free and open source project for GSoC?
https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org2/google/gsoc2015/osgeo [1]
------
[1] https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org2/google/gsoc2015/osgeo
Johan Van de Wauw
2015-04-28 08:29:27 UTC
Post by Clément Igonet
How to be considered as a student fo GSoc?
Could I suggest my free and open source project for GSoC?
You are too late now, a call was launched in february:
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/discuss/2015-February/013934.html

This being said, adding your project to OSGeo live
(http://live.osgeo.org) or incubating in OSGeo may give more
visibility to your project which will definitely help in being
selected if there would be a new edition.

Johan
Margherita Di Leo
2015-04-28 08:30:58 UTC
Dear Clément,
Post by Clément Igonet
How to be considered as a student fo GSoc?
Could I suggest my free and open source project for GSoC?
I'm afraid it is too late for participating this year, but stay tuned
because OSGeo is likely to participate also next year. In the GSoC program,
you are welcome to submit your project proposal, however it is very
important that you discuss it withing the mentor community well beforehand,
in order to find mentors. Your project proposal should involve one or more
OSGeo projects (software). You can find more information here:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_Recommendations_for_Students

Best regards,
Margherita

European Commission.
Clément Igonet
2015-04-28 09:55:58 UTC
Well, I think I can't be considered as a student anymore...
Post by Margherita Di Leo
Dear Clément,
Post by Clément Igonet
How to be considered as a student fo GSoc?
Could I suggest my free and open source project for GSoC?
I'm afraid it is too late for participating this year, but stay tuned
because OSGeo is likely to participate also next year. In the GSoC
program, you are welcome to submit your project proposal, however it
is very important that you discuss it withing the mentor community
well beforehand, in order to find mentors. Your project proposal
should involve one or more OSGeo projects (software). You can find
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_Recommendations_for_Students
[4]
Best regards,
Margherita
Post by Clément Igonet
Post by Margherita Di Leo
[...]
[1] [1]
We wish all students and mentors a great summer!
Madi and Anne
OSGeo GSoC Admins 2015
--
Best regards,
Dr. Margherita DI LEO
Scientific / technical project officer
European Commission - DG JRC
Via Fermi, 2749
I-21027 Ispra (VA) - Italy - TP 261
Tel. +39 0332 78 3600 [2]
[...]
[2] tel:%2B39%200332%2078%203600
[3] http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss
[4]
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_Recommendations_for_Students
Suchith Anand
2015-04-28 08:17:33 UTC
Great to see these excellent student projects and thanks to Madi, Anne and all the mentors who make this possible.

Suchith

margherita.di-***@jrc.ec.europa.eu<mailto:margherita.di-***@jrc.ec.europa.eu>

Disclaimer: The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not in any circumstance be regarded as stating an official position of the European Commission.

message or in any attachment. Any views or opinions expressed by the
University of Nottingham.

permitted by UK legislation.